Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mother's Day Tribute



It's a day to celebrate not only your mother, but ALL women -Mother's day.


It's interesting what inspires me to blog sometimes. This time, my inspiration is special.


Last night, I wrote an email to a gentlemen I met at the NABJ conference in Vegas. It was a simple email…


"Hey, long time no hear from. How are you?


His response left me shaken. It was a long, detailed email explaining why he had been under the radar.


"My mother passed away."


The news left me sunk like the Titanic. Then, I started thinking about what it would be like if my mother passed away. I tried to shake the thought, but I suddenly slipped into a daze.


I pictured…
Her laugh,
Her smile,
Her eyes,
And her signature macaroni & cheese and yams.


[I'm literally tearing up as I write this]


What would I be without the woman who brought me in this world? She's my rock. My friend. My mentor. My role model. I've always wanted to be just like her. I can't imagine not having her shoulder to lean on.


As I'm writing this blog, I'm realizing how tough it must be for my friend to cope with the loss of his mother. It must take the epitome of faith and strength to move ahead with your life. It's for this reason that I admire him. Even though he may admire others for having a parent or both of their parents, I admire him for being able to acknowledge his pain, yet carry the torch and press on.


This Mother's Day, take the time to carry the torch. Show your mother how much she means to you, because tomorrow is not promised. Thank her for lighting the torch in your life so that you could shine like no other.


Remember, you don't have to bear a child to be acknowledged on Mother's day.


So to all the women reading this: I lift you up, I pray for you, and I encourage you to do the same for other women in your life too.


Happy Mother's Day! [I love you Mom]


Oh and enjoy this great song by Raheem DeVaughn, appropriately titled, "Woman." Check it out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhsaIizrY5I&feature=related

1 comment:

bmoore225 said...

I see you young Cross....you making me proud on the blogspot...lol.

Do yo thang do yo thang!